Sunday, 13 November 2016

A Word Of Warning...

A few weeks ago I had a few 'child-free' hours, so I settled down in front of the tv to watch my DVD copy of Gormenghast, a BBC adaptation of the Mervyn Peake novels.

As I was watching, I thought I'd post a #widn (what I'm doing now) picture on Instagram, so I took a photo of my television during a scene which showed the lead actor looking particularly handsome ;-)

I never thought any more about it, but then a couple of weeks later, a comment was posted which basically warned me to remove the photo as I didn't have permission to post it, and vaguely threatened some kind of legal action.

I didn't know if it was a spam comment, but the photo wasn't important and I didn't want any drama, so I just deleted it straight away. Annoyingly, I never actually viewed the profile of the person who'd left the comment, and once I'd deleted it I had no way of seeing their profile name again.

A few more days passed and I was still wondering about it, so I googled whether there was any kind of copyright infringement involved in taking a photo of your own television, and it turns out, there is! To be fair, most of what I found related to posting images online (ie a blog/website), and most were US sites talking about US law. But it does seem to be true that taking a photo of an image on your tv, and then posting it on social media, is a breach of copyright. In hindsight, I suppose it's kind of obvious, but I just didn't think about it at the time.

I'm not sure what would've happened if I hadn't removed my photo, probably nothing actually, but you never know. I've seen loads of images on Instagram where people have photographed what they're watching on tv, so I would just warn you to be careful.


No comments:

Post a Comment