Definitely hit a bit of a slump in August. I've been doing a lot of housework, decluttering, that kind of thing, which has kept me so busy that I haven't had time to read much. So this is all I've managed:
1. Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher
Funny in places, but overall a bit disappointing.
2. Dead Silence by S. A. Barnes
Quite enjoyed it, sci-fi horror
3. Before And After by Andrew Shanahan
Unusual take on a zombie apocalypse
4. How To Survive A Horror Story by Mallory Arnold
Even though it was a horror story, so really 'anything goes', for some reason I had trouble suspending my disbelief.
5. Six Of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
I thought I might've liked this, but I really struggled with all the weird names and it was putting me off straight away! I know that weird names are a given in fantasy novels, but these ones just felt a bit OTT, so I DNF'd quite quickly.
6. When Women Were Dragons by Kelly Barnhill
I actually read quite a lot of this before I DNF'd it, I'm sure I was well past 100 pages. I wasn't too keen on the switching back and forth between the story and the scientific reports, I think I'd have preferred just Alex's story, though I understand the 'science stuff' filled in a lot of what she didn't know. Other than that, I found some elements to be very repetitive, and I just got to a point where I wasn't really bothered about reading any more.
No comments:
Post a Comment